Friday, April 19, 2013

Why I Like Almond Milk

I like almond milk.  I grew up on cow's milk, and I still like it, but recently I have been buying almond milk instead.
Why do I buy almond milk?  There are two big reasons:
  1. It takes a lot longer to expire.  Whenever I would buy regular milk, I wouldn't even get through half of the jug before it went bad.  Almond milk's expiration date is much later, usually a couple of months, after I purchase it.
  2. It is lower in calories.  The type I purchase (Blue Diamond Unsweetened Original Almond Milk) has only 40 calories per cup, compared to 90 calories per cup of skim milk.
I tried soy milk, but there was a funky taste to it that I just could not get over.  I have no problem with the taste of almond milk.  I can barely tell the difference between almond milk and cow's milk when drinking it plain, and when I put it on cereal or mix it in a beverage, I can't tell the difference at all.

Update: I accidentally bought the Original Almond Milk (the kind that is sweetened), and I didn't like that one as much.  It didn't taste as much like "regular" milk, and it has 60 calories per cup.  I didn't notice much of a difference when I mixed it in a smoothie or a protein shake, but there was a noticeable difference when I tried to drink it plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment